Monday, April 13, 2009

Azaleas


The azaleas are starting to bloom, always a special time of year. I have only two types Asian evergreen azaleas, Encore 'Amethyst' and a late-blooming shell pink and white azalea from my husband's grandmother's garden. The rest are natives.

Encore 'Amethyst' is supposed to be the most cold-hardy of the Encores, a group of azaleas not known for their cold-hardiness. 'Amethyst' has survived temps down to zero with little damage and no snow cover, so I have been pleasantly surprised by its performance.


Piedmont azalea is a tall, suckering native azalea with fragrant pink or white flowers. Or at least it's supposed to sucker, although they have not yet. The buds are almost as beautiful as the flowers. The evergreen azaleas definitely pack a wow factor, but I love the grace of the flowers of the native azaleas and softer colors even more. Many species are sweetly fragrant, much like Dianthus, cotton candy with a hint of clove.


White Piedmont azalea


Female black phase Tiger Swallowtail feeding on the flowers.



12 comments:

  1. OOOOOO I like that Piedmont azalea! Very nice! I need more deciduous ones here. I recently saw a swallowtail and am glad they are back! The hummingbird moths too-won't be long and it'll be summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is too funny-we were on each other's blogs at the same time. I am busy in the garden with my chainsaw, but stopped in for a sec just to check.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Any flower or blossom that attracts butterflies is okay with me!! Lovely!hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't that the most perfect colour of butterfly to land on the white blooms.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh, pretty! Thanks for sharing your lovely azalea colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there, I just posted on the premier No Cal nursery for rhodies and azaleas. North Carolina, of course, boasts the creme de la creme of such displays, but you might find the web site interesting (they don't ship).... cheers, Alice
    http://BayAreaTendrils.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Azaleas are delightful. Love also the native species. The white one with the long anthers look spectacular. Here I can grow only the evergreens, Kurumes and also the cross between Rhododendron and Azaleas which produces very big bushes with huge flowers. We do not have native Azaleas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have some lovely azalea blooms. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love azaleas...Amethyst is a gorgeous color. I have tried almost every native azalea that our local grower carries...the first year they are gorgeous and then they slowly decline! They do like acid soil and that's not found easily here. But I can enjoy yours and do~~ gail

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. look at those buds, blooms, and a butterfly! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...