Monday, February 20, 2012

Still Winter


Very cold rain and even some sleet last night let us know that even though we've had it easy this year, it's still winter. Today we were back to a beautiful winter's day.


Why did I take a picture of this hedgerow? The scene doesn't translate that well in a picture, but what looks like a bundle of twigs on the computer screen is amazingly beautiful in person. The winter landscape is filled with golden light and dancing shadows, an intricate matrix.



The stems of the other Prairie Rose (Rosa arkansana) glow crimson.


I don't recall Rosa palustris scandens having colorful leaves in winter before, but this year they have been colorful all winter and on fine windy days they shimmer.




10 comments:

  1. I think you did a lovely job capturing the stillness of a Feb day - I love how the rays of the sun start stretching a little longer this time of year and they feel a little warmer if you tilt your face in the right direction...its hurry up and wait time, I think February is one of the slowest months for gardeners!

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  2. SweetBay,
    Was hoping you would have at least got a taste of the snow? Perhaps next year then. Not long now til spring.

    oh the word verification is awful..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry about the word verification Randy but spammers were getting through the old verification to leave their nonsense. Is there an alternative?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those photos are just beautiful...and you bring up such a great observation of winter, which I'v also noticed. It can seem so utterly bleak at one moment, then, with a quick break in the clouds, can seem radiant...really shows the importance of light in a garden :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. Interesting on the colorful leaves on the rose. Thsi has been a crazy winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sun makes such a difference! I think we all are ready for spring. Anything colorful helps! Those rose leaves are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your descriptive of the "winter landscape filled with golden light and dancing shadows" as much as I do your images. Sunlight makes all the difference both in the garden and in images like your opening photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, peaceful, graceful images ... I feel so good to look at your photos. Thank you, Sweetbay !

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's real strength in the sun now. Can feel spring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so easy to look outside and see nothing but brown and gray, but your photos are a reminder that winter has its own beauty, too, and sometimes there are surprises if we just look more closely. Thanks for the inspiration, Sweetbay.

    I turned off my word verification last week, too; I hope we don't all get hit by spammers, but this new format is ridiculous! I was beginning to think I had developed dyslexia:)

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...