Thursday, March 27, 2014

Wildflower Wednesday


This month I am joining Wildflower Wednesday on time for a change!

Serviceberry is the earliest native tree to bloom here, and only one is open so far, and that one just a little bit. The flowers display a silvery fluffy fuzz as they open, giving the tree lacy appearance in bud. Later the new leaves will also be covered in silvery down.





Reportedly the black fruit is delicious but I haven't yet tasted any because they are a great favorite of birds! My wild serviceberries don't typically have the spectacular fall color that Jason's of gardeninacity have (due to premature leaf drop), but some years they surprise me with beautiful gold, bronze, and orange hues.

I have loved this tree since I first saw one at the edge of our back yard at the original house site. The tree had been pushed over when the site was cleared but still managed to hang on for a few years, and looked just like a bridal veil when it bloomed. There are several young wild serviceberries around the old house site and and the seedlings are easy to move around.

Thank you gail for hosting this wonderful meme.

12 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I have one but it has never bloomed. I think I need to move it to a spot where it will get more sun and it can live up to its potential.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a pretty tree! You always have such lovely things in bloom.

    Have a great day ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our Utah serviceberry won't bloom for another month, but I do love their blossoms. The fruit tastes kind of bland to me, but some people make jam from them. The birds and other critters do love them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a serviceberry too that I love, it's such a pretty small tree. At first the birds ignored the few berries it produced, but this past autumn, it produced lots, and the birds devoured them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful. I know I am going to appreciate every bloom after this winter. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard about a Serviceberry tree or seen one before you featured it on your blog! What an interesting and beautiful tree! Thanks for featuring it!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've long thought Serviceberry would be a great addition to the garden. But I'm having a hard time finding the right spot for it. I already have too many trees in most parts of the garden, and this one would be too big for the spots where I need a medium-sized (6-10 ft.) shrub. I love it, though. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. One of my favorites, too. I have never gotten to taste the berries! Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your tree is gorgeous! I bought two specifically for the birds, and they are still young trees. I look forward to when they will be as lovely as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Serviceberries and so do the robins. The fruit never lasts long. Last summer I added a new tree and am looking forward to seeing it flower for the first time this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have loved serviceberries for years and finally planted one last fall. I'm looking forward to seeing if my little tree puts out some blooms this year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that first photo. The tree does glow like lace. I am on holiday in a city where the cherry trees are blooming and I'm falling in love with flowering trees all over again. "Sigh" :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...