Monday, May 28, 2012

Rosa palustris scandens



Sometimes I like to use the scientific names for certain plants. (btw, I don't think the use of scientific names makes me sound smarter, since I mispronounce the names half the time.) In the case of the swamp rose, I just don't think the name captures the gloriousness of this plant. Besides which, the actual species swamp rose (if I have the genuine article) is a thorny rose that doesn't bloom in my garden. It even set a few hips and I never saw any flowers.

The rose I purchased as Rosa palustris scandens from Antique Roses Emporium is a hybrid of some sort. It does like a lot of moisture and in response to food and drink it becomes an 8' high fountain of gracefully weeping canes and beautiful bright pink flowers that are intensely fragrant in the morning. It truly is a glorious rose. I look forward to seeing it bloom every May.


With Veilchenblau, next to the vegetable garden


I have a lot of these roses, many still up-and-comers. The oldest is 12 years old. Six to eight roses were ordered over the years from ARE and the rest grown from cuttings. The one below growing next to the vegetable garden was grown from a cutting started 6 or 7 years ago. I take pencil length blooming age stems, stick them in potting mix and put in the shade. I haven't needed to use rooting hormone or plastic bags.



There are three growing next to the paddock fence. Prince helps me out by snacking on pieces that venture over the fence. These roses are thornless (except for old wood near the base) and never sprayed.










One at the far side of the big perennial bed grew so quickly it needed some help standing up.


This is my oldest swamp rose at 12. I used to have two but one failed. Not exactly sure why ~ it started leaning way over (away from the adjacent Swamp Sunflowers) and then started looking poorly. Graft failure maybe? Or pulled up its own roots? At any rate there are several youngsters in the bed ready to take its place.




With Alberic Barbier and Dorothy Perkins



It's hard to pick a favorite among roses but I really, really love this rose. Beautiful in bloom and carefree and lovely just as a woody plant, what's not to love?


20 comments:

  1. She is a real beauty and a perfect match in your gorgeous garden. Stunning colour ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good morning Sweetbay ~ What a wonderful start for this morning, a lovely tour of this fantastic rose in your gardens. It's wonderful that you've gotten so many going there.

    Have a nice holiday and a great week.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, SweetbaY!
    You have such a beautiful rose garden. Just love all your roses, they are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are some impressive roses! Love the landscape of your property.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just spent a day at the Brooklyn Botanic Garden in NY, and their highly cultivated, stylized rose garden with arbors and gazebos is striking, but nothing like the wild abandon and beautiful mounds of your roses out in the open. You have a rose arboretum, but one that is part of the whole landscape and allows these big bloomers full range. I like your rose world so much better than the fussy English style gardens!

    ReplyDelete
  6. whenever I see these tours of your property I grow green and ashy with jealousy. Seriously, it is like a paradise there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous photos of your roses! The fragrance must be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your roses are gorgeous, Sweetbay! What a welcoming sight to any visitors who drive down your lane. I agree with Laurrie--I much prefer the natural look of your roses cascading over the fences than the formally, symmetrically planted hybrids in many rose gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful roses, they seem to be a cloud in bloom!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What's not to love indeed! I am impressed with your ability to propagate them so easily. Am trying to get three started now...crossing my fingers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your rose bushes are huge! They're beautiful, too. Around here, we're just getting our first rose blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, your roses are fabulous! I just love large roses like that. What a beautiful sight. And what a wonderful and welcoming drive to your home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your r. palustris is simply stunning! I wish I could inhale its fragrance, but I know seeing pictures of it is going to be my annual treat ( I remember it from last year).

    ReplyDelete
  14. The sheer mass of this rose as it cascades over the fence is stunningly beautiful. The fact that you don't spray it and it is thornless are a great bonus.
    P.S. Also took a look at your baptisias. I have the same purplish one (yet to bloom) and a deep blue one. Next year, I must find a white one like yours. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So so so beautiful!! Roses as incredible as that one give all the others big shoes to fill. :o) I just pulled a rose out yesterday that had boring scentless blooms and chronic black spot. It was a huge relief to chuck it in the garbage.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I never tire of visiting your wonderful garden, especially when you post photos of your roses! I have a single rosa palustris. It is in a partially shaded area and doesn't get a lot of water. It is two years old, and I am surprised by how many blooms it has, though it doesn't compare to yours!

    ReplyDelete
  17. ah! Is so lovely to see roses and more roses!
    Here is cold and wet.. no roses through my window :(
    Your garden look so beautiful and peaceful this spring.
    kiss

    Carola

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your roses have inspired me!
    I love the way your gardens are so lush and full of abundance....
    I have fallen in love with roses and am doing my research now for planting next April. I would love to propagate too...
    Gorgeous photos. Gorgeous roses.
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  19. Does your R. palustris 'Scandens' set hips?

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...