Sunday, December 20, 2020

Winter light


Winter is the season of mud here. It's also a season of golden light, which lights up the world and transforms bare branches into intricate patterns of beauty. If I try to take a picture the branches just look like a pile of sticks, but in person it's a dance of light and shadows.


A tangle of swamp sunflower, rugosas, prairie rose and winter honeysuckle near the top of the hill on our property.
To be honest, I kind of regret planting prairie rose (R. setigera) next to the driveway. It's a thorny BEAST and absolutely gigantic. Not only that, there's more than one of them and they can spread to a length of 50'. I never thought something with prairie in the name would do so well here, but it has. I grew 2 of them from seed acquired in a trade. On the plus side, they form a wall of pink flowers in June,
the hips provide food for birds in the fall, and the leaves turn a bright pumpkin orange late in the year.

During the summer I'm not so fond of the tall goldenrod that grows rampant here, but it provides for bees and other pollinators in the fall, provides good cover for the birds in winter, and the seedheads are beautiful lit up by the late afternoon sun.


The rugosas are turning now, and look like they've been dipped in sugar when encrusted with ice crystals.


Scarlet leaves still remain at the top of Fothergilla 'Mt. Airy'

Last year a black cat started showing up on the farm, a feral tom. He was very thin so I started feeding him and now he's far less feral, although the best I can do is pet him a little bit while he's eating. Any name suggestions?

He rolls around vigorously on the ground, trying to get me to play with him as he would another cat.
He has a baby voice.
He looks like a black panther in the above picture but he doesn't cat very well, or he wouldn't have been struggling so much in the middle of summer. I want to get him to the vet to get neutered, vaccinated, etc, but am worried the experience will be very traumatizing for him. He'll have to be trapped since I can't pick him up and put him in a carrier. He will go eventually (I had an appointment for him earlier this month but backed out). I plan on keeping him on the back porch for a few days afterward. If he runs away he likely won't have a good outcome.
I was thinking perhaps Dexter as a name because he always seems hollow inside (he's a bottomless pit).

10 comments:

  1. Good for you for having him neutered. He will become much more calm, probably turn into a lap kitty, and he will no longer stray. Keeping him for 24 hours after surgery on your porch is a good idea. I like the name Dexter for him.
    I love solid black kitties; they have sweet personalities. I have a semi-feral (neutered) black kitty named Crow in the feral colony that I care for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crow is a cute name! I definitely want to get him to the vet, unneutered male kitties are always getting in fights and catching things.

      Delete
  2. I love the light in your photos, especially the ice-frosted shots. Dexter seems a very good name for "your" black cat. I hope you succeed in getting him neutered, etc and I hope he elects to stay close.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I succeed to, because he's not going to feel entirely like my cat until I can fully care for him properly, and he needs someone to take care of him.

      Delete
  3. It is very calming to watch the winter light play on the branches. Your shots of the frost covered foliage are great! Good luck with Dexter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our black cat was called Chocolat. Henry was getting old and tired, he picked out a kitten from the feral litter on the empty plot across the road - here you go, my replacement!

    In that Porterville garden we inherited two ash trees, and I loved seeing the bare branches in winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We lost our last cat a year and a half ago at the age of 21, and I guess I've been waiting in limbo for another cat to show up. Our last two cats showed up as part of a litter of four with mom. Mom (Susie) was very tame and loving, as were two of her kittens, Tommy and Prissy. The other two kittens were entirely feral, so strange. The kittens definitely had different fathers, as they not only acted entirely differently, they looked entirely different too. The kittens were quite young but we still must have missed some developmental window for them. We got them spayed and vaccinated and gave them to one of my husband's colleagues who wanted barn cats.

      Delete
  5. Beautiful photos, Alicia. I especially like the one of your Fothergilla, something I need to look into for my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely look into getting Fothergilla for your garden, it's an amazing plant!

      Delete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...