Sunday, December 13, 2020

The rose fence and winter cleanup


There's a gate across the drive outside the pasture, and a line of fence that runs from there to the edge of the woods. The gate and the fence are to keep the horses from running up the driveway if they were to somehow get out of the pasture. "The rose fence" is a place for roses that are much too large to grow on a standard trellis. In the beginning, 'Mermaid' was the only rose on the fence. It grew in the part shade of a pine tree and I quite liked the butter yellow flowers in spite of the incredibly vicious thorns. Then the pine tree started to list dangerously to one side, undermined by the fast-moving water in the ditch that runs between the gate and the fence. Now in the full sun, the flowers faded to buttermilk white, which I didn't like as much. Then the rose contracted rose rosette disease and had to be removed. The rose was so large I enlisted DH's help to get rid of it.

Then I acquired what was supposed to be 'Seven Sisters' in a trade, but which turned out to be what I think is 'Dorothy Perkins'. DP looks much better growing on a fence rather than on the ground (where it grows wild along the roadsides here), as it doesn't contract fungus there.

'Dorothy Perkins'


Swamp rose and 'Dorothy Perkins'


I grew a rose from cuttings that grew behind the Glen Lennox shopping center in Chapel Hill and had admired for years, ever since I saw it there when I was in college. (The drive through for the bank there is at the back of the shopping center.) That rose turned out to be 'Alberic Barbier', IDed by another blogger when I posted about it.
'Alberic Barbier'


This area is a mess right now, as I haven't gotten in there and cut down the woody plants and blackberries that inevitably grow up around the roses for at least a couple of years. Things like Chinese privet, sweetgums and red maples grow fast. I'm going to need to get in there and clear out the briars and saplings so G. can finish cleaning up with the chainsaw.

I ordered 'Rambling Rector' after seeing it on Phillip's blog Dirt Therapywhen he lived in Alabama.
There are reasons for this neglect. Three years ago we had to start soaking the horses' hay because the pony has insulin resistence. Too much sugar in insulin resistent horses results in inflammation in the soft tissues of the foot, a condition known as laminitis. No one knows why the feet are affected but it's a serious and painful condition. If there's too much damage to the soft tissues (called laminae) that attach to the hoof capsule, the laminae can start to die and the hoof capsule separate from it. Typically this first part to detach is the toe, causing the hoof and bone to rotate downwards, a condition known as founder. In catastrophic cases the entire hoof capsule separates from the laminae, which is called sinking and is very difficult to recover from. Soaking the hay for half an hour reduces the sugars. This process adds about an hour to taking care of the horses each day, so that cuts into my gardening time, but the pony is more than worth it. We've had her 20 years and she's a very sweet pony. She has overall been doing well and is sound.
Because I'm a sucker for anything purple, I also ordered a purple rose whose name escapes me now.
I can't find it in my garden folder, or on my blog. Last time I checked there was stil a tag at the
base of the rose, so perhaps I'll find it again after clearing.


Gene's responsibilities at work have increased. He used to take care of the horses Friday night but I need to do it now because he's too busy. The third reason is fibro, which is always worse in winter. However, I've been able to make changes that have made the condition much better and I hope that continues into the cold wet weather season.

Unknown wildflower at base of roses - some sort of campion?


I spend all winter trying to clean up messes that have grown up over the summer as best I can. I don't want to clear places where birds are nesting and they always build nests along the rose fence, as there is excellent cover there (especially these past couple of summers lol). So winter is the time to work on stuff like this. Plus layers help prevent scratches from thorns - thorns from blackberries and the roses. On Saturday I worked clearing briars for nearly 2 hours, to be rewarded with the site of a lot of deadwood. The roses are not dead, because 'Alberic Barbier' is still throwing canes everywhere, but it might mean more cleanup after clearing all of the blackberries, saplings and trumpet vine. This is going to take some time.



18 comments:

  1. As always I LOVE seeing your roses and reading about them and how you are handling them. I'm glad your pony is doing better and I pray that she will stay that way. You inspire me in all that you do around your place while dealing with fibro. I have had sciatica issues this year, it is better than it was, but I'm still dealing with some pain with left leg. It is not bad when I'm working, but the pain can wake me out of sleep at night. I've been using Blue Emu cream and a hemp cream, both work well. I think part of my problem is the way I sit here at the computer, so I'm trying to change my bad habit. Thanks for taking the time to show your lovely place. Have a wonderful Christmas ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I’m sorry you’re dealing with pain. It’s awful not to be able to sleep at night.

      Delete
  2. Those big roses underneath the pine trees is a truly lovely thing. I would be eager to know what the purple rose is. I was trying to think of varieties in that color and came up blank. It is really pretty. So, did Rambling Rector try to take over your property? That is one aggressive rose! I hope your horses are okay. I never knew there was such a thing. They certainly have a beautiful place to live.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rambling Rector did get quite big! It has competition from 2 other monsters though. lol It’ll be interesting to see how these roses did through this neglect, but I’m hoping their vigor will allow them to bounce back.

      Likewise I am hoping the tag is still at the base of the purple rose, because I couldn’t find a receipt in my garden folder or anything in the blog.

      Delete
  3. Your roses are spectacular, sweetbay, but the work necessary to cut those rambling vines looks daunting! I love that purple rose, and the unidentified wildflower growing at the base of your roses. I'm sorry to hear of the pony's foot problem, as well as your own medical issue, but glad you figured out how to manage around both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't remember seeing it but Rosa 'Alberic Barbier' is lovely and your mention of it growing at Glen Lennox set me off looking up that shopping center. Came across an interesting history of it from town of Chapel Hill. I'd forgotten about the dairy bar...
    The purple rose is exquisite. I'm sorry you're having to deal with multiple tough issues. Glad you're finding ways to deal with them and continue with things important to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rose was behind Glen Lennox in the late 80's when I was in college up until a few years ago. Then a crew cut it down and there's something like Carolina cherry laurel there now. It's a shame, it was so gorgeous, and went all of the way back of the shopping center.

    It seemed like every couple of years there was a new restaurant there. I used to drive past coming and going from home to college and now from Smithfield.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your roses are gorgeous! I like the way you grow them in a naturalistic, romantic way. I've got Albéric and Seven sisters too, the play of colours in the latter is awesome. Your wildflower is Stellaria holostea, it grows also around here. I'm careful with ramblers as they're challenging to prune and usually plant them on the boundary where they can go wild. Your Dorothy Perkins is much prettier than mine :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And thank you for the ID.

      I agree that ramblers are challenging to prune. They are on a fence with a lot of room to spread out, so I don’t need to try to contain them, but keeping the saplings at bay and cutting out the deadwood is work enough.

      Delete
  7. Your huge roses are fabulous. Sad that rose rosette is prevalent in your area. 'Mermaid' must have been a chore to remove.

    Sounds like your sweet pony won the pony-owner lottery--you are giving her the loving care she needs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RRD is depressing, especially when it involves removing a huge rose or a lot of roses. I have been lucky, as it hasn’t shown itself in several years. At least a lot of my roses are species roses and don’t seem to be as susceptible (keeping fingers crossed).

      Delete
  8. Beautiful roses, and I'm a past horse owner so I understand the amount of work to keep them healthy and happy. Take care and have a nice holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your roses are lovely - I love the fragrance of roses, but oh, those thorns, impossible to handle!
    Sorry about your pony, but am glad the solution is fairly simple despite taking extra time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are a good horse mom, sweetbay, and I bet the pony knows and loves you for it! Your roses are gorgeous! Could the purple one be 'Ebb Tide'? It's a grandiflora with a wonderful scent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pony is a love bug. In a reincarnation she'd want to be a lap dog or cat.

      'Ebb Tide' is not ringing a bell. I'm wondering if it's Perennial Blue. I really hope the tag is still there once everything else is cleaned out.

      Delete
  11. It's wonderful to see your garden again. I wanted to drop you an email but can't find your address. Warmest. gail

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...