Monday, December 7, 2020

Plans for the vegetable garden



The past few years my role in the vegetable garden has consisted of watering the plants and tending to the ornamentals around the edge of the garden. It's a role I am getting a little tired of to be honest. I feel like I'm watering more failures than successes. I think we should give up trying to grow any tomatoes, for instance. We have some sort of rampant mutant wilt here that takes down every tomato except for Matt's Wild Cherry, and even that refuses to grow in the vegetable garden. We can't seem to grow any other tomatoes very well here, no matter where we plant them. In the ground, in pots with brand new medium, it doesn't matter.

I used to start the plants from seed but Gene took that over. He wanted to start them inside early. I don't think there's any advantage to doing that, as I used to do it and found the plants were better if I started them outside in pots on the front porch after the last frost. But he wanted to do it. If I start them this year (likely basil, eggplants, and peppers), I'll just start them outside on the front porch in small pots.

There are too many plants in pots in the garden itself. I want to grow Kentucky Wonder pole beans on the back trellis, no pots. G. put them in pots and I just could not water them enough to keep them happy. We have plenty of chicken wire to keep the rabbits from eating the stems. Sweet peas before that posssibly. No lima beans. They have never produced here. It's a picky crop, often sensitive to moisture levels. The variety we had this year just grew and grew and grew and only produced tiny little pods that never matured.

I want to try corn again, although somehow that's only been successful once. How hard can corn be to grow? I don't know but this is one past failure I want to try one more time.

In 2011 we grew corn
The front trellis needs to go or at least the pole needs to be shored up or replaced, one of them is listing markedly. It can only be used for early sweet peas, otherwise it shades too many other things out.

Sweet peas on the back trellis


Peppers probably don't need to be grown in pots because they are water hogs. Basil and eggplants do well in pots, and we have to grow sweet potatoes in pots due to the voles.

This year I really want to make notes on my calendar to start fall crops from seed or buy them to get them established before cold weather arrives. Broccoli from the garden is often better than broccoli from the grocery store, and Buttercrunch lettuce is amazing mixed with romaine in a big salad.

Asparagus has done well but Gene has never harvested any of it. It might have been overgrown by seashore mallow by now. Seashore mallow has a way of taking over areas but is easily dug if we need more room.


Gene grows squash and okra on the compost pile since they get so big. That worked out well this year since we had frequent rain.

OTOH, Veilenchbleu and swamp rose has done well at the edge of the vegetable garden. I've always thought that growing flowers was easier than fruit and vegetables. Everyone wants to eat crops and they've been bred more for productivity than disease resistance. Still, I think there's more we can do to figure out what consistently does well here and stick more to that. I don't even know the particulars of what each crop needs, and and if I knew that would probably/possibly help. G. wants a vegetable garden but is too busy to concentrate on it much.

In 2009, one year after we moved the house, the area next to the vegetable garden was so open, and the swamp rose planted there was so small. There was a lot of Gulf Coast Penstemon, a short-lived wetland perennial perfect for that place since it gets wet from all of the water running down the driveway.



Now the swamp rose is full size, at least 7' in height.


Then two Veilchenblau were planted and they've gotten pretty big too.


Next to where we park the cars are Verbena bonariensis and small beardtongue (sent from Gail of clay and limestone)
and (not pictured) daylilies that form large vigorous clumps like 'Hyperion' and 'Blackjack Cherry'. Between the parking area and the vegetable garden are (also not pictured) cup plants. I wanted some of these after seeing them covered in butterflies at the NC Botanical Garden. This past year the swallowtails hatched out too late for the flowers, but the year before that the cup plant and summer phlox were absolutely covered in butterflies. A plumber came out to fix the leaky hose bib on the well and he and his daughter were impressed by all of the butterflies. I grew some parsley and bronze fennel for the black swallowtails and had to go and buy more as the caterpillars just devoured the plants.

Between the driveway and vegetable garden there's bee balm, a hibiscus, crinum
and iris. I've got a few Louisiana iris and blue flag there

'Sinfonietta'
but I'd like to get a colony going, as well as more Gulf Coast Penstemon again. I've got more around that I can grow from seed.





8 comments:

  1. I'm envious of all the space you have, although I'd have great difficulty giving up those roses and other decorative plants to make space for vegetables. I planted veg my first few years in our current location in raised planters that came with the garden but eventually switched over to cut flower "crops". This year, given the situation, I added some vegetables back into the mix, only to have the critters take most of my paltry output. If I try bringing veg back next spring, my husband and I have to figure out how to protect it so we can actually harvest some for ourselves. I hope you can work out a plan you like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the thing, everyone wants to eat the fruits and vegetables! lol This year a mockingbird ate a bunch of the Sunshine blueberries, and it's not uncommon for the tomatoes we get to get gnawed on or picked at by assassin bugs and birds if they're not picked at a fairly green stage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been very successful. And you have a partner in your gardening! That would be fun and frustrating in some ways, I guess. I have complete control over my little garden, but I do 99% of the work, too. Your photos of the roses and the sweetpeas are so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Veggies tough for me, too. Our winters have become so unreliable growing cool season veggies is very difficult because of frequent heat waves. The past couple summers the small pear or cherry tomatoes have been successful so I stick to those. We have Avocados, Oranges,and Figs...that seems to be enough, somehow.

    Your roses are lovely, your space, the trees...that must be plenty of beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Veggies haven't done well for me down here in s.e. FL. We have 'sand'. I would try to grow things in pots, but every time I'd get ready to pick tomatoes or green peppers, some critter took a bit out of them the night before throwing them on the ground. I'd much rather grow flowers. As always, I loved seeing your roses plus all of the lovely flowers you grow there. May you and Gene have a lovely Christmas month and wonderful gardens next year. ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks as though you have a wonderful place to garden and that rose...just takes my breath away. You must have pretty good soil. As to vegetable growing...summer is the hardest not only for the heat and humidity and lack of rain but as you say-the bugs. squash vine borer, leaf footed bugs, always the harlequin bugs and other stink bugs, aphids, and they are just the ones above the ground. Beneath are the root mealy bugs and wire worms and lots of others. Then the bigger guys like squirrels, deer if they get in, raccoons possums skunks rats mice. What do we bother? Because we are gardeners and just have to get our fingers in the dirt. We love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That rose is fantastic!! I grew some veggies for the first time this past summer - in my little community garden plot. (Not enough sun at home.) I was amazed how fast everything grew. Other than some slug/snail damage, I didn't have huge problems with others eating my crops. I'm guessing - since I grew so many non-edibles mixed with my edibles - that they found my neighbors' tidy, evenly spaced plots far more accessible, as mine was a leafy chaotic mess. (LOL - I don't blame them! :D)

    ReplyDelete
  8. More heavenly roses, swoon! Veilchenblau is looking great next to her companion. Your garden looks big and is full of interest. I'm looking forward to seeing more of it.

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...