Saturday, November 22, 2014

A walk down to the creek and through the woods


In my last post I wrote about a path in the woods near the property line. On that day (November 7th) the red maples were still green. Four days I decided to see how much they had changed.

Slough near the trail




Sorrel tree (Oxydendrum arboreum), also known as sourwood

Beech


I decided to walk the loop to the creek. The first part of the trail runs next to a slough that eventually meets the creek. There are willows, red maples, and water tupelos in the slough. The tupelos still had about half of their bright leaves, some scarlet and some orange.


The red maples and musclewoods along the trail were beautiful.

This musclewood couldn't have been any more brilliant.




The sweetgums in the floodway fields were as usual like
the Joseph's Coat of trees: yellow, orange red, and purple.

Double trunk white oak at the edge of the field.

The musclewoods around the electric tape paddock were brilliant too.


This tree in particular had caught my eye when I turned the horses out, and was
the chief reason I'd thought to get my camera in the first place. What a dazzler.

8 comments:

  1. What a delightful walk among the trees and you introduced me to a tree I have never heard of-musclewood. No walks here today. Torrential rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is no garden experience more enjoyable the a walk in the autumn woods. I could almost breath the fresh cool air in your photos. We still have a fair amount of color left, though it is fading fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful sunny light through the fading foliage of the trees. It must have been a lovely walk with the horses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And now I dream to walk in the woods ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must be wonderful to have natural woodland like that so close to home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It must be so serene to have these lovely woods to walk in so close by. Thank you for the wonderful pictures, I enjoyed the walk with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Summer may be all about the flowers, but fall is all about the trees and shrubs. I love the way leaves turn semi-transparent and glow like stained glass. I just wish fall was not so fleeting. Already the leaves are gone from the trees and the grey gloom of late fall/early winter has settled in.

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...