Monday, April 2, 2012

Every Year


Every year when the native azaleas bloom, I wonder why I don't have more.


Pink and white Piedmont Azaleas


with the repeating evergreen 'Autumn Amethyst' (looking very fuchsia pink in the sun) and woodland phlox.


Two or three years ago I tried to add more azaleas but they were too small and succumbed to heat and drought despite my efforts to save them. The big azaleas I have now were put in before the house move, when this bed was one of the closest to the house and well. After purchase I need to let them grow on the porch for a year or two and graduate up to 3 gallon size before setting them out in the fall. Who wouldn't want more? The native azaleas are so lovely -- graceful even -- and sweetly fragrant.





Far less refined, not native but even more fragrant, I am always thrilled when the wisteria blooms. About every other year frost catches it out. Was I dumb to have planted the sucker from DH's grandparents' farm 15 years ago? Possibly. Probably. Yes. It is a thug extraordinaire, now sending suckers underground several feet out from the base. But I do love the purple flowers and their sweet scent.






What would April be without the delicious scents of spring?


13 comments:

  1. Dear Sweetbay ~ Your native azaleas are wonderful and that wisteria gorgeous! Another lovely post of your country gardens. Thank you for the mini vacation.

    Have a great week and a lovely Easter.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. North Carolina knows how to do spring right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How gorgeous Sweetbay! Even the butterflies love your azaleas. Yes, those suckers Wisteria puts out makes it hard to maintain but I too feel they are worth it. My place would be taken over my vines if I give up. Beautiful photos! You are so ahead this year. Things have slowed down here but we too are ahead. Happy April and sweet fragrance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do the same thing. I did buy a few tiny ones at a plant sale last fall and planted them in the woods where we want to build our future home. They are doing really well. I'm just hoping they survive all the critters out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know what it more beautiful, the azaleas or the wisteria! Both are so soft and pretty. I agree with Laurrie, you do spring up right in NC.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have three native azaleas now, two of which are blooming. The third one was planted last spring and had a rough summer. It died back a good bit. It was one of the pink ones. I can't wait for it to get larger and have some blooms. I am going to add one or two every year, they are so fragrant, hard not to!
    I remember visiting a friend's parent's house, the wisteria had gone under the house foundation. yikes!! Hard to resist the purple flowers and fragrance in the spring.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow V. I am loving this posting. All those gorgeous azalea blooms. What a riot of color you have in your garden now. And the wisteria...thug or not it is simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty azaleas. This is one plant that doesn't really like me. But I keep trying! The wisteria is gorgeous. How can such a thug be so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow...those are so lovely...I love how open and delicate they are...so much better than the stubby ones you usually see in gardens!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow your native azaleas are amazing! Mine are puny in comparison. Mine are only 1 to 3 years old. Some never bloomed this year. I have struggled with them. They seem to suffer the hot summers even though they are in shade.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Every year when the native azaleas bloom, I wonder why more nurseries don't grow them. If they did I would bring them into the store to sell.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your azaleas are gorgeous, Sweetbay--who wouldn't want more! And the wisteria--I've heard it's awfully aggressive, but it's oh so beautiful.

    I missed your earlier post with my favorite iris of yours--'Jesse's Song.' So glad I scrolled down to see it in all its glory. Your garden is beautiful in the the springtime!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello there,
    Thank you so much for catching the bird id. I really appreciate it. I learned something yet again today. I went back on my notes and remember a male with a pink swatch on the head flying nearby....very cool. Hope you have a fun weekend out in your beautiful area:) Chris

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...