Monday, April 30, 2012

Wildflower Monday


While the roses are throwing a party in the garden, the natives are just as beautiful. Iris virginica and mockorange make a lovely combination. I grew these iris from seed from Prairie Moon Nursery. The color ranges from a very pale pink-violet


to lavender.


Oak-leaved hydrangea truly is a plant for every season. The light green quilted leaves are as beautiful as the flowers.


Not sure whether this is truly Eastern gray beardtongue or a hybrid with Gulf Coast penstemon ~ to me it looks like it has traits of both, and is thriving in a place that is soaked after rains.



A willowleaf/Hubricht's Amsonia hybrid, also grown from seed. This one has a faint sweet fragrance. I have finally figured out that one of my three big Hubricht's amsonia is very sweetly fragrant (a lot like my mystery white iris) and will try to grow more of that from cuttings later on.


This coast azalea from Sunlight Gardens has been blooming such a long time, and what a delicious fragrance it has!


The wild Geranium maculatum from our farm. This is one of the toughest plants I have. It just goes underground for the year when the weather gets too hot and dry for it. Unfortunately I'm not sure if the one from the Botanical Garden is faring as well. I haven't seen it bloom this year.


Technically a native from the Southwest and not the Southeast, pink showy primrose dukes it out with lemon balm and garlic chives in the vegetable garden border and has taken over the sidewalk bed. Which is just as well because the voles, loving the loose sandy soil there, had eaten just about everything else.


Front sidewalk


Beside the vegetable garden


Ozark phlox (Phlox pilosa ssp. ozarkana) is blooming all over the garden east of the house after I moved divisions anywhere I could fit them last year.


With Clematis 'HF Young'



In the distance blooming with coast azalea.


These buttercups are likely a naturalized species from Europe but they are eye-catching growing in the corner of the neighbor's pasture.


The true stars of the garden are the false indigos, which are deserving of their own post.


Baptisia alba


Baptisia 'Purple Smoke'


Baptisia australis


As always thank you Gail for hosting Wildflower Wednesday.


23 comments:

  1. Thank you for this lovely, quiet tour of your gardens this gray, windy and somewhat Monday morning.

    Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish, I had so many wildflowers in my garden ... Maybe in the future. Thank you, for the inspiration !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures. Love iris virginica, and all the other blue and purple hue flowers. Great collection. Thank you for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love taking a stroll through your garden! The pale Iris and the Purple Smoke Baptisia are so pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Baptisias and Amsonias are two of my favorites--yours are spectacular! Love the sweet little primroses, too. They all look so happy in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for such a marvelous show of support and wildflowers! Love your P pilosa...It's such a trooper and goes everywhere with everything. More on the Mock orange pleae! i think it's a marvelous shrub. gail

    ReplyDelete
  7. clematis! I dream with them in my garden! such lovely vine.

    kiss


    Carola

    ReplyDelete
  8. the purple smoke is outstanding!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything looks so vibrant. I look forward to the baptisia post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, they are all so lovely! So, voles don't eat evening primrose?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the baptisia! I have evening primrose - it would like to take over everything but I'm trying to keep it tame. It's easy to pull out where it isn't wanted and I love it when it's blooming.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Sweetbay, I always come away from your posts feeling like I have been treated to glimpse of a paradise. You have created such a wondrous wild and romantic feeling there. Your plants are so lush and I would guess that Prince has something to do with that. Happy May Day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love azaleas. I wish I was there to take a sniff of their delicious scent.
    Your garden is alive with color!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful blooms! Your gardens are so full and lush looking so happy. Happy May...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Karin I do believe voles were eating everything because there were many vole tunnels. Probably mostly in winter when my cat Prissy only works part time. lol

    Gail the mockorange is wonderful. I don't know which one mine is as it's a passalong. It's fragrant, vigorous, and seems to like a drink when conditions are hot and dry. However, mine is in really rich soil and grown really fast, and one in a leaner soil might not want anything. There's a non-fragrant native that is lovely that I'm thinking about getting too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful! I like the lush dreamy look the natives add to your garden. Penstemons are my favorite, I grow quite a few too, but here large-flowered hybrids do best. The wild geranium is really pretty too, as are your baptisias.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Enjoyed the pleasant walk through your gardens today. Clematis, phlox, baptisia, and penstemon...it is all so perfectly cottage-y.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your white Baptisia is outstanding! The photos show a layered lushness that glows and radiates color and light. Beautiful.

    Sweetbay, having a problem posting your last comment..blogger doesn't cooperate.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I finally found a few penstemon that will take our humidity. I love them so much! Love your baptisia. My 'Prairie Fire'(I think) was a purchase inspired by one of your posts. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I drove by a field of buttercups last week that was blinding. Unfortunately I was without my camera and on company business as well and could not stop.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the native azaleas, their fragrances are out of this world. My baptistas are done blooming, I was just glad they bloomed as it was the first year in my garden and they will be small.
    Sure wish you were going to the Spring Fling, so close by.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful wildflowers! I always enjoy a tour of your garden. I love the native azalea and the mockorange, and because of you I planted baptisia for the first time this year!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, Sweetbay!
    how beautiful wild plants! Wonderful captures !

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...