Saturday, March 31, 2012

Somewhere Over the Rainbow




Iris come in all variety of colors and so it is fitting that this loveliest of flowers is named after a Greek goddess who in lore is the personification of a rainbow. 'Jesse's Song' was the first iris to open this year. Readers of this blog know how much I love this iris; it's gorgeous, it's vigorous, even has a little sweet fragrance, a goddess in flower form.


Lately the words from 'Over the Rainbow' has been running through my mind. As in somewhere over the rainbow, I will have a lower maintenance garden. In case you think I'm a lazy slob who just leaves weeds, most of the Lamium (along with great handfuls of chickweed) are coming out as it yellows and the bees lose interest. My plan is and has been to have more Baptisias and woody plants in the lower gardens, but the wheels turn slowly. Rooted cuttings of Black Highbush Blueberry are waiting in the wings to go into the ground this fall (one of them even has a few bell-shaped flowers this year) and I took more cuttings earlier this month. A year and half turnaround but well worth the wait. I'd like to try some of the cultured Highbush and Rabbiteye Blueberries too, but I am very enamoured of this wild plant with its tiny sweet fruit and spectacular fall color. I was happy to see that the new Virginia Sweetspires survived last year's brutally hot dry summer. They were rooted from Sweetspires that grow wild here and whose fall color is like that of 'Saturnalia': brilliant colors shadowed by a very dark moody purple. I plan to take Winterberry and Buttonbush cuttings too. I want a limbed up Buttonbush like the one at the NC Botanical Garden.

I confess that my favorite version of 'Over the Rainbow' is from the movie The Wizard of Oz, but I love Eva Cassidy's version too. Her voice stands out from the rest by virtue of its sheer beauty and range.


7 comments:

  1. Wizard of Oz was my favorite movie as a kid, love 'Over the Rainbow'. Whatever your technique you use for your gardens, it spells success. You always have wonderful blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I love about Irises are the way that they transport you to another space with their color and design. Nice pics:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think a low maintenance garden is a great goal. Your irises are beautiful. Good luck with your blueberries. I have two new ones - I'm hoping to get a blueberry or two from them! Wouldn't that be exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always enjoy visiting your blog! I'm always having to catch up on your previous posts, but I wouldn't miss them. You garden is one of my most favorite among all of blogdom! I planted Virginia sweetspire last year, not expecting much. I love it! I want to plant several more. Best of all, it needed no coddling at all during our hot, dry summer last year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post! Now I will always think of this song with the iris. (This was the song we played as we entered our wedding reception). :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know about the low maintenance garden. Does such a thing exist? I find there's always something to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not low maintenance, lower. :) I don't think a low maintenance garden exists either! lol I do enjoy the garden maintenance. However March is almost a killer month in the garden for me. Good news is that DH chipped in a couple of days (usually he's too busy with other things) and we were able to knock out the rest of the heavy duty weeding on Saturday. Hurray!

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...