Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Rose beside Hickerson House in Chapel Hill



The Center for Urban and Regional Studies at UNC-Chapel Hill is in a charming white house called Hickerson House, named after a professor of engineering and mathematics. Thomas Hickerson supervised the building of Gimghoul Castle, which I posted about here.


A wide ribbon of purple iris (I'm positive it's 'Crimson King') wraps around the front yard and runs up beside the driveway.


One year we happened by this house when all of the iris were blooming ~ oh, the fragrance. Wonderful!


Past the iris, next to the house, is a beautiful rosebush. Does anyone know what this might be?





Isn't it a lovely rose? I wish I knew more about the history of the house but I can't find much online.

Update: I asked about this rose on the GardenWeb Antique Roses Forum and the consensus was that this rose is 'Fun Jwan Lo', a Rosa odorata var. gigantica hybrid that was used for rootstock early in the 20th century.


14 comments:

  1. That rose really is pretty. Hope you can find out what it is.

    FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cant help you on the rose's. I dont know much about roses, sigh. YOu have me excited about the iris. I will have my first ones blooming soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't know much about roses...but it sure is pretty. Carla

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rose is absolutely glorious. What a nicely shaped bush that is.
    I love your 2 previous posts. Gorgeous Daylilies and Irises. I can't wait to see mine again!
    Thanks for the well wishes. Hubby came home yesterday. He's doing OK. Moves very slowly, but just being able to move at all is good :)
    Your photos are so beautiful, as always, and the beautiful colors are such a welcome sight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is a lovely rose bush...the light pink looks so proper.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweetbay,
    That is a very nice old world rose. Wish we had room for such beauties here.

    News- are are working on starting beekeeping.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful pictures, as always. Your rose, could it be the alba, Celestial? I really don't have enough information to make a better guess...

    ReplyDelete
  8. That rose is pretty. Such great looking foliage. It is a perfect companion to the irises.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A beautiful rose bush; I thought it might be cl. Devoniensis. Then I saw your update. These old fashioned roses are glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know anything about roses, but I really like the flowers and the overall habit of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Isn't it great that you can find so much gardening help online? I'm amazed that someone could identify this rose for you. It's so big--I can just imagine the fragrance in the air when you walk past it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello again SB! Just wanted to say thank you for all the info on Iris fragrance. I will definitely pay more attention this spring when they start blooming here. That should be a consideration before purchasing too ~ must smell good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely and your photos of the rose are stunners! You've captured the delicate texture of the petals and I can almost smell the rose fragrance coming from the monitor! Where is smellovision! gail

    ReplyDelete
  14. Masha I think Celestial does look a lot like this rose. Two more for the want list... Celestial and Fun Jwan Lo... :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...