Wednesday, April 29, 2015

More daffodils, more of everything!


Inspired by the daffodil show this year, I have been dividing daffodils and planting them all over the big bed. Next to the front sidewalk too. It'll probably be a couple of years before those divisions size up enough to make the kind of display I want, but I didn't feel like waiting to order more bulbs in the fall. I've already been waiting *15 years* to fill the bed with daffodil bulbs. Perhaps the fall rush of garden and fall work makes me tired, but I almost never remember to order bulbs in time. Enough with the delays! Daffodils need to be everywhere.


I've been planting divisions Geranium maculatum from the farm too. There was a big clump
at the back of the big bed and suddenly I realized that I needed a lot more of this everywhere too.




I have been slow to clear the garden this year but I am still enjoying it. Problems with fibro have returned with a vengeance and I have missed a lot of days working outside. I am hoping that a return to a brand name of medication does the trick.

Speaking of bulbs, years ago I transplanted Atamasco lilies into the ditch in front of the big bed. I envisioned a swath of snowy white blooms, like I had seen next to the slough on our farm in past years (in openings created when trees were felled during storms) and next to the dirt roads that wind through Howell Woods. Instead I have ended up with exactly two flowers.



Two is better than zero but I had envisioned the ditch being paved with them
by now. The lilies by the old pond site are doing well though and have even
spread, so I divided a clump and added a couple of bulbs in front of the big bed.


I have thought of letting marsh marigold take over the ditch in front of the big bed. It's
taken over the bottom part of our neighbor's pasture (and part of our shelter paddock as well).


That would be OK if they'd play nice with the Amsonia, although they probably would overrun
the violets. I have GOT to get more groundcovers going though. The blue violets are doing a
good job east of the house and part of the big bed, but I'm not sure how they'd fare in a dry year.


The rugosas have started blooming. I have all but eliminated them in the big bed but have many many others. (Now that I have gardens all around the house I've wanted to replace the rugosas there with natives.) I love their fragrance.




The iris and baptisia are blooming. I look forward to this time all year.


Jesse's Song












'Purple Smoke'



12 comments:

  1. These last ten or even more photos are gorgeous, your garden looks amazing, I love it. The Amsonia is already flowering and the Irises and the beautiful Baptisia, so early in comparison with our country. Hope you soon feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Geranium maculatum is gorgeous as is the baptisia. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Baptisia time, too. Hope you get to feeling better. xogail

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a wonderful variety. Love the geraniums, they look good with almost every other flower. The baptisia is beautiful also. Your property is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your irises, baptisies and everything ! Spring is so romantic in your garden, Sweetbay :) Best wishes and happy moments between the flowers !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Spring at your home is simply beautiful, Sweetbay! The baptisia is such a gorgeous shade of purple, and I look forward to seeing your 'Jesse's Song' every year. A friend of mine has fibro and started on Lyrica about 12 years ago, and what a difference it made in her life. At one point her insurance company made her switch to a generic, but it just didn't work as well, so she was able to switch back. Hope you can get back on the meds you need and get back into the garden again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden looks beautiful, sweetbay. I love the Iris and the Baptisia and even that aggressive marsh marigold. I can appreciate the problem of fitting everything in during the fall months too - sometimes you just have to do the work when you have the time (and the energy). I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling with fibro and my fingers are crossed that the med helps!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry to hear your fibro has returned; best wishes for new meds to work! You are the person that introduced me to Baptisia. I waited three years for mine to bloom, and it really is beautiful! I have a single one by a birdbath, but I wish I had many more! Marsh marigold looks wonderful in a field. One of my neighbors has it growing in abundance beside a white rail fence. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry that you have not been doing well, and the fibro (I assume fibro means fibromyalgia?) kept you from gardening. You still seemed to have been working hard though, with all the divisions that you have been making. Your daffodil display this year looked absolutely splendid and I think it is great if you are spreading them even more.
    I love your blue irises and the baptisias. I wonder if baptisias would grow in Southern California as well...
    Your rugosas are beautiful. I remember their fragrance, too. I tried to grow them in my garden, but they didn't like it here. I guess the soil and water was too alkaline.
    Warm regards,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never seen G. maculatum with such a wonderful color. Your Baptisia look fantastic as well. I hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous as always! Fibro is a beast. I hope you're back to your better self soon. Chrysoganum is a great ground cover that looks very pretty with violets. It can take moderate drought.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your post is a good reminder to divide my own daffodils. Some clumps have gotten rather large with few flowers. Hope your Fibro improves with the new medication. I have a problem with one of my feet and pain does take the joy out of gardening.

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...