Tuesday, September 16, 2014

After the Sun Game Out and Plant Suggestions Please -- updated


Last Tuesday after the sun came out..


I'm happy with the Bidens to the left, but feel like there needs to be something of intermediate height added to that space. Something independent and non-fussy, that will grow big enough not to have to be rescued from vines every year. The intermediate sized stuff at the middle left in the picture is naturalized Chinese privet and somehow it doesn't count. I'd like to get rid of all of it all. The tree and bushes growing in the distance to the left are wax myrtle, coastal pepperbush, American beautyberry, and swamp titi. I have several small serviceberries that I found them growing wild in various places and potted up last year that can go out next year. I also have 3 redbud seedlings that should be ready to go out next fall. Although that stretch to the left is low, it's often quite dry in the summer. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Edited to add this picture.
The plan is to clean out the privet from the wood's edge and add one or two American hollies and some understory trees/ large shrubs. I already have several wax myrtles in front of the manure pile (out of sight in the above picture) and along the ditch. I thought about the plantings at the Botanical Garden in Chapel Hill and consulted my copy of Gardening with Native Plants of the South and came up with many choices, in addition to the already mentioned serviceberry: possamhaw (Ilex decidua), wild olive (Osmanthus americanus), silverbell, sweetbay, sourwood, blackhaw, sweetleaf, native witch hazel, and native azaleas. I collected a bunch of sweetbay seeds from trees here (including one that I started from seed 8 years ago) so I should get at least one sapling from those.

To the strips of Bidens I want to add tall perennials, something that I can mow over with the tractor early in the growing season to keep vines and woody plants down. The plants need to be able to tolerate drought as well as short-term flooding. I know that swamp sunflower fits the bill. The Joe Pye that grows wild here really likes a lot of moisture, growing in ditches or even in standing water, so I don't think it would thrive there. I think groupings of white Hibiscus coccineus could work. Perhaps ironweed or green coneflower too.

16 comments:

  1. Your bidens are so beautiful! Thinking of companion plants, some sages come to mind. Peveroskia ( Russian sage), Salvia greggii ( Autumn sage), and Salvia May Night are some. Also Yarrow should do well, and there are some beautiful colors available. Eupatorium (Joe Pye Weed) is also good. It does have average water requirements. Best wishes for happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I probably don't know enough about gardening in your climate to be useful but my first thought was that blue or purple-flowering shrubs would be a pretty complement. Are Agapanthus or Hebe hardy for you there? These are relatively care-free for me here. Deb's suggestion of Eupatorium also seems good to me - I wish I could grow that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure which space exactly you need help with. Are you looking for a shrub or tallish perennial? Have you thought about Joe Pye Weed or silphium?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to use one of those software programs that allows me to draw in order to clarify, but see the two strips of Bidens on the left? That's the area I'm talking about. In fact, it's really in the left of the two strips of Bidens that I would like to add height.

      Delete
    2. Are you looking for shrubs or tall perennials? PicMonkey is free and lets you add cool touches to your photos very easily. Picasa is free, too, and lets you add text.

      Delete
    3. Trees, shrubs, and tall perennials! I added a picture with arrows and labels to make it more clear what I am after.

      Delete
    4. I'd add some joe pye weed, silphium, swamp milkweed, and tartartian asters.

      Delete
    5. When I googled silphium the first thing I got was that Romans used it for birth control. It sounds like a good fit. Unless Joe Pye in the trade is more drought tolerant than what I have I don't think it would do well there. It grows wild in the ditch. Tartarian aster sounds like a good fit too.

      Delete
  4. So gorgeous! I absolutely love the repeating mounds of gold and the large leaves of the medium sized shrubs, especially in the first photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful area you have to plan out. The Bidens are lovely and I hope you manage to find a suitable perennial companion for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your garden looks lovely to me. I don't know enough to recommend any additions. Our Utah Serviceberry grows well on dry slopes around here, and the leaves turn gold in the autumn. That's about the extent of my knowledge, but I'm sure you'll come up with the perfect plantings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maybe it sounds silly, but to me your garden looks perfect as it is! You truly garden on a large scale, which is totally out of my comfort zone, and I admire your braveness to tackle a plot of land as big as yours is. I can't help with plant choices, because I garden in a very different climate zone and on a much smaller scale, but honestly can't wait to read what you are deciding to do at the end and see photos of the newly plantings. Wishing you a lovely rest of the week,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden always looks so lovely, especially when the Bidens are in full bloom--such billows of cheery yellow! I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions for you, either, because I'm not as familiar with what does well in your zone. But I do think some ironweed would look good--I've always wanted to add some to my own garden. Love the late fall color.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi again Sweet Bay. I swear I left a comment on this post because I loved that Dahlia?? Strange. Anyway, you asked how I overwinter my dahlias & it's by digging them (after a couple hard frosts), then put them in peat moss and store them in my unheated basement. I would guess the temp there is 40 - 50 degrees?? About once a month I check the tubers to make sure they are still okay (not shriveling up, rotting, etc.) then spritz the peat moss with a little water. Not much because they rot so easily. Dahlias are kind of labor intensive here but so pretty I guess I'm willing to go to the trouble. I like 'Apple Blossom' for its subtle coloring too. Hope that helps & you have success this year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't get your other comments read. Does cup plant grow in your area? It would be a good tough one that would hold its own with the vines, but it does spread and reseed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cup plant grows in Gail's garden, so I think it could be happy here too!

      Delete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...