Thursday, May 1, 2014

Postcards from April

There's only a few 'Hillstar' daffs blooming now, but there's been narcissus blooming for about 6 weeks now.

These early daffs were finished by the end of the first week of April, and I miss them. Every year I think I need more, hundreds more. I wish I could order more of these, but these are passalongs. I can always divide them though and there are so many beautiful narcissus to choose from.

Very early April



My latest-blooming daffodils are Thalia, Curlew, and Hillstar.

'Thalia'

I want to get some very late-blooming daffs to go with the Baptisia.


Henbit


Winter Honeysuckle bloomed a very long time, from December or January through early April. Even when there were just a few flowers the shrub was as fragrant as ever on a warm day.


So many shades of green.

'Veilchenblau'

Iris leaves

Neighbor's pasture and horse. I am particularly enamoured with this horses color. He's a seal brown and white paint and about Prince's age.

Looking across old house site

April 9th


New leaves on trees edging the neighbor's field.

Woodland Phlox



Florida azalea buds

FINALLY. This is the first time in 7 years that this azalea has had this many flowers.

April 13th

Not sure which year this picture was taken, as the date isn't printed on the back, but
here are the Florida Azaleas before in the house was moved out of the floodplain in 2007.

Native Jacob's Ladder

Columbine

Toothwort


Pink Piedmont azaleas in bud

White piedmont azalea




The wisteria managed a few blooms. I cut it back last May or June, too far apparently.

This common lilac has continued to surprise me with how well it has done here. I expected a one cane wonder, maybe 3 feet, with lots of dead twigs. Instead it's about 5 feet tall and covered in flowers (although I never did get a good picture of the whole bush). I love the fragrance.


20 comments:

  1. Beautiful to see all the flowers around your house Sweetbay.
    Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are lucky to grow so many azaleas. Beautiful april postcards ! Have a nice weekend, Sweetbay !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a beautiful place to live Sweetbay and I like that horse too, he or she is a beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have a beautiful range of spring flowers! I'd never heard of toothwort and had to look it up - I was surprised to see the range of uses attributed to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful spring garden you have. All the azaleas in bloom. Most of my columbines died out this terrible winter and what else is yet to be determined. The Jacobs Ladder and Toothwart. Just beautiful Sweetbay. Did you move then? I hope you still have a garden. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, we haven't moved, still here! We moved the house out of the floodplain 7 years ago. I will edit to be more clear.

      Delete
  6. Your garden is full of plants we can't grow here in central Texas, but "your" irises are blooming and happy. Good to have a virtual visit and see what spring's looking like there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your azaleas are beautiful! I'd love more daffodils, too, and I have visions of planting hundreds of daffodils along our pine trees this fall. My knees tell me, though, I'd better just do a few each year:) Lovely visions of spring in your garden, Sweetbay.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have a lot of really happy azaleas. I love that orange color, but also the delicate white of the natives. Those reflexed perianths of 'Thalia' is a characteristic of the Triandrus and Cyclamineus-type narcissi. I think 'Thalia' is a Triandrus. Very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love all the native azaleas! Mine didn't really bloom much this year...not sure why. I am very envious that you can grow lilacs. I love their fragrant blooms but alas they won't grow here. The long shots of your property are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The daffodils and azaleas are just marvellous. It is too bad that the Florida Azaleas took so many years to recover from being moved. Hopefully it is a good sign that you have flowers for the first time in 7 years.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos! I love daffodils of all sorts, and your Piemont azaleas are wonderful. april was a very good month for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How are daffs and narcissus different? I thought they were the same. I really love your azaleas. They are so much more beautiful than the hot pink and red versions at the garden center.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're not different, I just didn't want to write daffs a million times. :)

      Delete
  13. I love the new green of the leaves and the first flowers of spring. Your home place is looking beautiful, dressed in so much spring beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Sweetbay! I haven't visited you in awhile! I am glad I made it over for the lovely blooms and views. I like that white colored daffodil I forgot the name of. I am pleased that my woodland phlox that I brought over here in a tub from our previous garden has done well, and avoided being totally consumed by the rabbits. I hope your May is going well! It's 96 in SE Nebraska right now. I hope it cools off enough to get a little gardening in yet tonight. It's not supposed to be this hot in the near future, though. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  15. People here in the north grow Azaleas, too, but they just can't match the plenty of Azaleas grown in the south. Yours (and all your plants) are looking fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderfull plants azalles, and horse, greeting from Belgium

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Sweetbay, as always, it is lovely visit to your blog to enjoy your softly blooming garden. Hope the weather is okay for you there. With the start of summer, we are finally getting some golden days here and I can't stay out of the garden. :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...